Mountain biking on Oat Hill Mine Trail in Calistoga is a tale of two trails. You climb nonstop for about an hour. Up and up and up.
Then you can lower your seat post, turn the bike around and head downhill. But if you don’t want the ride to end so soon, there’s a good amount of riding in the saddle at the top of the trail.
This was one of the first rides that stretched my beginner mountain biking skills and showed me what a rocky technical descent felt like.
- My Strava track
- The trail is available on Trailforks, so download the app for offline mapping
- My ride was about 17 miles with 2 hours and 30 minutes spent moving.
- Since this is an out-and-back ride, there are several good turnarounds:
- When you finish the climb around 4.5 miles in.
- At a nice overlook about 7 miles in.
- At the gate in Aetna Springs, 8.3 miles in. This is the route I took.
- This trail is rocky and technical, bring your full suspension bike.
- There is no water and no bathrooms at the trailhead.
- There are only a couple parking spots, but there is plenty of street parking on Lincoln Ave.
- Cal-Mart is a fully stocked grocery store right down the street from the trailhead on Lincoln Ave.
- Calistoga Bike Shop is also down the street on Lincoln Ave. and rents Santa Cruz bikes for $120 a day.