It had been a while since I rode Hole in the Ground with my brother. But once Castle Peak showed up in the background and I started that amazing ridgeline downhill the memories started coming back.
We did this ride as a loop, parking the car near the fire station off Donner Pass Road. But there are a few ways to skin this rabbit, with shuttling being a popular option.
- I started the loop here, near the fire station.
- The Strava Route estimates this ride at 15.7 miles and 2,173 feet of elevation gain.
- There are no services at the start of this ride, but after you cross the freeway there is a gas station and The Summit Restaurant.
- Further up the road from the start there is the Soda Springs General Store.
- Use the Trailforks app to navigate the route, as there are a couple tricky intersections along the way.
- The ride starts around 7,000 feet.
- The trail will stay covered in snow through spring and takes a while to clear. In late July there were two very small patches of snow left.