Mountain biking in Mendocino County is an adventure. The criss-crossing trails in the Jackson Demonstration State Forest are pretty darn fun, but you need to ride it quite a few times to get comfortable.
This trail guide is more of an adventure guide, and I want to give you guys a taste of what it’s like to ride these trails so you have some confidence you’re not going in blind. There are a lot of turns and nothing is marked, so download my GPX file and use an offline map if you want to follow my route. If not, just go for it and explore.
- The ride is about 11 miles with 1,000 feet of elevation gain. Lots of looking for trails and double checking the map brought this ride to right about 2 hours.
- Here’s the ride I did on Strava
- Download the GPX file (cleaned up a few of my going in circles)
- I camped at Russian Gulch State Park. It is currently $35 per night.
- Bathrooms and water are available near the campgrounds.
- The town of Fort Bragg is about 15 minutes north, and they have big stores like Safeway and CVS.
- I filled up at the old school Little River Market gas pump. It’s expensive and confusing, but I didn’t want to drive north to get gas and then head back south.
- There is a bike shop in Mendocino called Catch-a-Canoe & Bicycles Too, and Fort Bragg Cyclery up north.